Sunday, September 11, 2005

Marriage

I know you said "You're Ready", but I'm not ready
See marriage don't change, nothing but your name
Unless it's real love, through the sunshine and the rain
For better or for worse, girl this is not a game
See marriage don't change, nothing but your name

[Verse One]
Now I've been trying to make you understand
That I'm proud to be with you and I'm happy I'm your man
I know your moms and your pops wanna see you walking down that aisle asking what's up
'Cause it's been awhile, 'bout seven years now
We've been together baby, but girl I'm still not ready
Take it easy don't push me away, don't want to make a mistake
I wanna do things right; get my paper right
Wanna be 100% it's with you, I wanna spend my life

[Chorus]
Marriage don't change, nothing but your name
Unless it's real love, through the sunshine and the rain
For better or for worse, girl this is not a game
See marriage don't change, nothing but your name

Marriage don't change, nothing but your name
Unless it's real love, through the joy and through the pain
It's more than a ceremony, more than a wedding ring
A marriage won't change, nothing but your name

[Verse Two]
Ever since you caught that bouquet at your friends wedding day
I've been under pressure babe (I've been under pressure girl)
Now you window shop for wedding gowns and wedding bands,
Pickin' out your bridemaids and the theme song for the reception,

I know you love me baby, but girl I'm still not ready
It's so many thing's such you don't know about me
Even though we've been together for so long
We got a long way to go, so girl lets take it slow

[Chorus]

[Break down]
It's not that I can't see myself a life with you
Girl I aint going nowhere, lets take our time
This ain't something that you just jump into
And marriage don't change no

[Chorus]

[Outro]
See marriage don't change, nothing but your name
Unless it's real love, through the sunshine and the rain
For better or for worse, girl this is not a game
See marriage don't change, nothing but your name


This is a song entitled "Marriage" off of Marques Houston's cd Entitled Naked.
Aside from it being a hot song, it actually makes sense. So many of my associates got married right out of high school or in the middle of college and 80% of them are already divorced. It’s odd that people have forgotten the sanctity of marriage. By the time most young couples are married now, they've already slept together, most of them are living together, and most of them have kids. So like this song says the only thing that changes by the time they get married is one person's last name. I am a firm believer that if you're going to get married you must understand marriage. You have to understand that in order for it to work you have to constantly communicate with your mate and constantly compromise in order to make things work. You also have to understand why marriages fail and what causes those problems. There are so many factors to be aware before getting married, the list is never ending. I've had so many of my friends and associates ask me why wouldn't I date "so and so", and after I give a valid answer by listing out an array of reasons, I get the reply "So why don't you date them for the time being?" And of course my reply to that, is "That's how most of my associates ended up getting married and divorced to begin with. I can't see trying to force something that you know is wrong into something that is right, just because you WANT it to be right." I don't believe in involving myself with a person unless I have intentions of building a long lasting relationship, otherwise why waste my time AND theirs. I've seen people that were "just passing time" with someone and ended having a child, got married because they felt it was the right thing to do, and then divorced later when everything fell apart. And I could go on and on about this subject, but I will keep the rest of my thoughts to myself and finish my laundry. ~ Late

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home